For the depiction of subject matter which is inanimate in nature and especially dealing with small number of objects, you need to study and know about still life photography. This particular genre gives you more leeway in arranging design elements within a composition which is being compared to other photographic genres like portrait or landscape photography. Significant aspects of Still life photography are lighting and framing it also includes application of photography to the still life artistic style.
Perfecting the massive art of composition and lighting to create a beautiful image is certainly no easy task, however, once you get it correct, still life photography can be an enormously powerful form of art and can be utilized in projects from poster designing to calendar making.
Definitely, there are not innumerable photographic practices that date back further than still life photography because when photography was originated, it was intrinsic for the exposures to be long lasting, thereby making photographs of static objects the ideal subject matter. There are several advantages to working on still life as there are magazines, catalogues and lucrative businesses that often require product shots.
How do you get started with Still Life Photography? Have a look at the following:
- Concentrating on common perceptions – This being the most important aspect, you don’t require fancy studios or booths to begin with this kind of photography, your home space can be utilized, basically, perspectives have to be clear. With still life, you do not need to come across huge amount of variables as the content of creativity is already in front of you.
- Choice of subject – Photography is completely up to you, so you can look for any homely commodity or some simple object as your subject, however, initially you must try to avoid reflective surfaces such as metals or glass as they become unmanageable with regards to lighting.
- Angles and Tripods – The shutter release that you opt for should be depending on your lighting situation, I would recommend you to used tripods as they enable you to observe and work with your subject matter. Having said that, I’d request you not to let a static camera restrain your creativity as it quickly gets forgotten that your camera is made to be seated in a specific position for the entire shoot. Coming to angles, try shooting at variety of levels such as starting from the eyes of the birds to down into the subject like the shadows casted.
- Getting the backdrop correct – This is a highly essential feature in order to get started as it plays a big role in the complete success of your shots. For smaller objects, you needn’t require backdrop, instead you need a surface to place the items on.
- Composing the shot – The element of composition is necessary when it comes to making your still life photographs appear engaging and it’s always useful to think outside the box and vary the composition matter.
With the growing development of technology, the fascination for capturing still life has remained and still is considered to be one of the most operable professions in today’s world!